Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is software that combines all aspects of a business into one integrated system. ERP allows different business management applications to work together. Many back-office functions, such as IT, inventory software, warehouse management, and HR functions can be completed in the same system with the use of ERP software. When ERP is integrated with eCommerce, they work together as one.
Why Would an eCommerce Business Want ERP?
With the implementation of ERP software, your eCommerce website is more manageable with a streamlined order process. For example, a customer adds an item to the cart, then completes the checkout process. ERP software then triggers a confirmation email, pulls the item from your inventory data, and creates a shipping label. The software may also send the customer a tracking email and update your finance functions to show the profit you made from the sale.
ERP solutions offer many benefits to a company’s online ordering processes and procedures, examples include:
- Order placement: ERP software can assist in the order placement process by automatically setting into motion the next steps, such as calculating the shipping costs or creating a shipping label.
- Customer updates: With ERP software integrated into your e-commerce platform, automatic communications are sent to your customer, such as when an order is received, an item has shipped, or an item has been delayed in the shipping process.
- Inventory details: When an item is purchased, an ERP system can automatically change the inventory count which prevents customer orders from getting to completion if an item is out of stock.
- Ensuring stock is sufficient: ERP solutions automatically update stock, ensuring these numbers are accurate and current.
- Simplifying order tracking: An ERP solution updates order tracking and automatically alerts customers on the whereabouts of their orders as needed.
- Automating accounting tasks: By automating accounting tasks, the potential for human error is eliminated.
- Handling increases in demand: If your business has a sufficient ERP solution, you will not have to worry about increased sales or e-commerce traffic. ERP software can continue to automate services for you without the need for additional staff.
No matter what systems you have implemented, integrating your ERP and eCommerce platforms is critical to stay competitive. Choosing a skilled development team, can create a long-term partnership of collaboration and sustainable success. With 15+ years of commerce expertise and 150+ projects successfully launched, Digital Squared partners with leading retailers and B2B organizations to drive revenue through the full suite of products, with a focus on Commerce. If you are currently in the process of integrating your software solutions we would be happy to discuss your integration project with you.